GTUC training on Trafficking, Migration and Forced labour
31 / 03 / 2009
The Training on Trafficking, Migration and Forced labour was held on 25 March at GRUC office to arise awareness of the GTUC staff and of students.
The meeting was opened by the Focal point on Trafficking and Migration Ms.Irina Kurdadze, who welcomed the participants and made a short project overview. Her speech covered problems of trafficking, migration issues, forced labour issues, supply and demand issue in trafficking and forced labour and
The presentation on Power-point was represented by Ms. Irina Kurdadze.
The following topics were evaluated:
Migrant workers and the destination countries, brief review of the migration situation in
The Information Booklets on Migration (
The representatives from following branch unions were present at the event:
- Branch of Service, local and Social industries – Ms. Ketevan Berikashvili
- Architects and Workers of Construction and building material industry. Deputy Chief Ms. Marina Kurtanidze
- Automobile transport and Highway’s workers – Mr. Vaxtang Tsuleiskiri
- Workers from Energetic sector – Mr. David Gugushvili
- Private trade sector and Investment sector- LTD ,, Sameba” Chief of the Committee – Mr.Xizanishvili
6. Trade Union of Artists – Ms. Manana Darsadze –Chief of the organization division
Ms. Lili Sakvarelidze- Chief of the Committee of Trade Union of the Bibliotheca of the Parliament
Ms .Zaora Kirtbaia – Chief of the Committee of Trade Union of LTD “ Saktsigni”
7. Students – from Civil movement
Staff of the Georgian Trade Unions Confederation – from the International, Organization, Media,
In the discussion by the moderator of the training was announced the idea to find the connections and links with the same branches of Trade Unions in different countries to help the migrant workers for their repatriation.
It was interesting for the participants to know info if there is any discrimination for migrant workers relating on the wages they receive.
Also it was underlined that at the last months the funds transferred by the migrant workers in
The Participants of the above mentioned trainings were informed on risks of forced labour and trafficking on the prevention actions.
It was mentioned that in nearest future that guide book on forced labour in Georgian Language will be available.
The meeting was closed with the idea to have additional topical meetings to discuss the possibilities of trade union participation in combating trafficking in human beings in future.