The Georgian Trade Unions make an explanation with regard to the request of appointment of a candidate nominated by a certain group of mine workers.
02 / 08 / 2018
The systemic problems existing in the enterprise caused by legislative shortcomings, inefficient enforcement mechanisms, failed practice of investigating and recording the history of accidents, absence of occupation health and safety system, and inappropriate attitude towards occupational safety, lack of employment alternatives, as well as flawed remuneration system of mine workers etc. create the risks of future occupational accidents that is inadmissible according to trade union. Without full seismic and technical study of Shaori basin, full assessment of existing risks and threats, as well as thorough changes in coal extraction methodology and implementation of modern occupational safety and work organization standards, it is inadmissible to continue coal extraction.
Despite the decision made by the company’s management to appoint the candidates nominated by certain groups of mine workers as supervisors, the trade union upholds its position with regard to its demands repeatedly voiced since July 16, 2018:
- To conduct an objective investigation into the tragic incidents of April 5 and July 16 and to prosecute those responsible to the full extent of the law;
- To provide temporary conservation of mines to evaluate the existing risks and to fully modernize the facility;
- To ensure full compensation of employees for the entire period of compulsory leave due to conservation;
- To hold a meeting with the Prime Minister with regard to the above-mentioned issues with the participation of the representatives of the trade union, the company’s administration and the government, as well as the group of mine workers;
- The document highlighting all the above-mentioned issues to be signed by the parties to it.
- At the same, special state programs should be elaborated in order to facilitate the development of other sectors and fields of employment in Tkibuli and its suburban areas – bit.ly/akhali-sicocxle
Georgian Trade Union Confederation believes that the current situation in Tkibuli cannot be resolved without strong decisions made by the government, therefore it should be held fully responsible for the ongoing process.